Beginning in May, the Public Works Department will be managing a City-wide project to replace existing residential water meters with new “smart water meters.” This new equipment will have the capability to provide real-time water usage data, allow residents to identify possible water leaks, assist property owners to make informed choices on how much water to use, and reduce labor costs for the City.
The first phase of the smart meter installation project will begin the week of May 13, 2019. The entire project will run through January 2020.
May through July 2019
The Utility Metering Solutions (UMS) team will begin collecting GPS data of residential water meters.
The Utility Metering Solutions (UMS) team will begin the installation and replacement of residential water meters .
What to expect during Phase 2- mid-August 2019
- Many residential meters will be upgraded.
- Some residential meters will only need to be programmed and not replaced.
- Installation should take approximately 30-60 minutes.
- Water will be off for approximately 15-20 minutes during installation.
- Work will be performed from 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
- No appointment is necessary for meter installations and one will not be scheduled. However, before leaving the property after installation, a door hanger will be left at the main entrance to the property informing City of Lafayette customers of the status of the visit.