**UPDATE 3/29: Due to wet weather, this improvement project will not begin on March 29. It has been delayed a week and will run April 5/6 and April 12/13**
This construction project will be implementing the second phase of the Public Road Strategic Corridor Plan, and involves pedestrian and intersection improvements along Public Road from Simpson Street to Waneka Parkway.
Work will be performed on the following dates, weather permitting. Public Road will not close, but traffic will be periodically affected. Construction crews will mobilize on Friday with the majority of work occurring on Saturday.
April 5/6: (east side of Public Rd)
April 12/13: (west side of Public Rd)
VIEW A LIST of the pedestrian/corridor improvements by intersection happening on April 5/6 and April 12/13.
This implementation project upholds the Public Road Strategic Corridor Plan's goals of:
- Public Road is an inviting place that is safe and accessible to everyone.
- Update infrastructure to meet the changing needs in downtown.
- Maintain a family-friendly and business supportive walking environment.
Public Road Strategic Corridor Plan Background
In February 2018, 17 Lafayette residents were chosen from a pool of 28 applicants to serve on the Friends of Public Road Working Group (FPRWG). This working group was assembled to provide input to the project consultant and the Public Works Department for the development of a Public Road strategic corridor plan.
The purpose of the Public Road Strategic Corridor Plan is to:
- Address aging infrastructure/traffic signals in the Public Road corridor that need to be removed, replaced, or upgraded
- Facilitate safe travel and access by people using all modes of transportation – walking, biking, accessing transit, and driving
- Accommodate the existing land uses in the corridor while keeping in mind the future land use changes that are anticipated in the LURA Downtown Plan
The corridor plan will build on the goals outlined in the LURA Downtown Plan and will include opportunities to enhance the experience for people walking, biking, accessing transit, and parking in the corridors.
Visit www.cityoflafayette.com/PublicRoadPlan to learn more;
- "How to use a four-way stop intersection" video (Spanish and English)
- "Have you heard about the changes on Public Road?" (Spanish and English)
- Video clips outlining existing conditions that provided direction to the FPRWG in preparing the plan
- A list of FAQ's to help answer questions and provide background information on the corridor plan, data collection and existing conditions