Public Works

Posted on: May 2, 2018

Does the City of Lafayette have watering restrictions?

water conservation droplet_400w

Now that Spring is here and everyone is getting their lawns, gardens and sprinkler systems ready, the City would like to remind everyone of the permanent water conservation ordinance guidelines. Lafayette City Council enacted a permanent water conservation ordinance on November 6, 2013 putting in place watering restrictions to protect the City's water resources. 

It was determined that these practices are beneficial conservation practices for Lafayette regardless of drought conditions. 

  • No watering of outdoor landscaping between the hours of 10 am and 6pm except: 

*Watering by hand with a hose equipped with an automatic shut-off valve 

*City-owned golf course, athletic fields, and commercial agriculture 

  • Excessive overrun of water onto any area not covered by vegetation such as sidewalks, curbs, driveways, streets and other paved areas is prohibited 
  • Washing down paved areas such as driveways with a hose is not allowed

What does "hand watering" include? 

Hand watering is the manual use of a hose equipped with an automatic shutoff nozzle. The hose must be attended at all times while water is running. Hand watering does not include attaching a hose to a sprinkler (for watering or recreational purposes), manually operating an irrigation system, or placing a hose with running water on the ground. 


This ordinance applies to all City of Lafayette, in-city and out-of-city, municipal water customers (residential and commercial). Fines will be assessed to water customers disregarding the permanent water conservation ordinance regulations. 

Two warnings will be issued and the third infraction will result in a municipal summons 

  1. First conviction:  mandatory minimum fine of $100 plus court costs 
  2. Second conviction:  mandatory minimum fine of $250 plus court costs 
  3. Third conviction:  mandatory minimum fine of $500 plus court costs 

For questions regarding this ordinance, please call the Public Works Department at 303-661-1277.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email