The Application Process
How to Apply for a Building Permit
1. Download the Building Permit Application or pick one up at the Building Department:
Lafayette City Hall
1290 S. Public Rd.
Lafayette, CO 80026
2. Fill out the application.
3. Submittal requirements depend upon the complexity of the project but typically include two sets of plans and plot plans. Three sets of plans are required for residential additions, new residential homes, and new commercial buildings. For more information see the following:
- Building Code and Design Information
- New Commercial Building Permit Checklist
- TI - Commercial Remodel Permit Checklist
- New Residential Building Permit Checklist
- Utility Service Application (use for new residential and commercial)
- Plan sizes:
- Residential Remodel Plans (no larger than 11-by-17 inches
- All others (no larger than 24-by-36 inches)
4. Old Town Lafayette Project Requirements
Before submitting a permit application for projects in Old Town Lafayette such as an Addition, Duplex, Garage, Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), and other Accessory Structures: or more information see the following:
- Contact the Planning Department to review zoning, setbacks, lot coverage requirements, and architectural requirements.
- Planning Department: 303-661-1270 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Drop off your completed application and required materials at the Building Department or fax them to 303-665-2153 or email to email@example.com. Limit your plan set to five (5) pages if you intend to email your application. Note that the following permit applications need to be delivered to the Building Department at City Hall: Solar PV Permits, New Single-family Dwelling, Duplexes, New Multi-family Buildings, Accessory Dwelling Unit, Residential Addition, Detached Garage, New Commercial Buildings, and Commercial Tenant Finish.
See below for processing timelines.
The Building Department will call or email you when permit is ready.
Application Processing Timelines
The Building Department tries to issue your permit as soon as possible.Below is the typical time frame for processing permits.
- Five (5) working days for HVAC, water heaters, reroof, sidings, and window replacements
- Two weeks for projects such as decks, fences, and basement finishes
- Two weeks for commercial tenant finish, permanent signs, residential additions, garages, and corner-lot fences
- Four to Six weeks for new residential house, duplex, multi-family buildings, and new commercial buildings