Join the Open Space Advisory Committee (LOSAC)! To apply, read the position information on this page, and submit your application, resume, and a letter of interest. Selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
The Lafayette Open Space Advisory Committee (LOSAC) is appointed by the City Council to make recommendations regarding the acquisition and management of open space properties, and oversee the implementation of the PROST Master Plan.
- The five regular members serve four-year terms. There are two alternate positions.
- Meetings for all members, regular and alternates, are held on the first Thursday of the month at 6 pm in the Council Chambers at Lafayette City Hall.
The Committee is established to serve in an advisory capacity and to make recommendations to City Council on the following matters:
- Examine the needs of the City for additional open space and trails which have not already been identified in the City's Comprehensive Plan, and to make recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council with respect to the location and identification of such additional open space and trails for inclusion in the City's Comprehensive Plan.
- Assist the City Council in establishing priorities for the acquisition of park and open space properties and trails, funds permitting.
- Examine and make recommendations to the Council and Planning Commission with respect to public land dedication, and other possible sources of funding for the purchase of land or right-of-way by the City of Lafayette for use as developed parks, preservation of open space, establishment of pedestrian trails, and other similar purposes.
- Make recommendations to Council regarding management policies for open space and trails and the process by which these policies are assigned to City-owned land.
- Serve as a citizen Tree Board for the City of Lafayette, establishing the standards necessary for Lafayette to receive Tree City USA designation from the National Arbor Day Foundation.
- Oversee implementation of the Parks, Recreation, Open Space, and Trails Master Plan.
- Plan, organize and carryout annual Lafayette Open Space Day and Arbor Day events.
- Oversee the implementation and continuous development of the Open Space Education and Outreach Plan.
- Integrate regional trail plans to focus on developing a multi-model community as part of the larger regional network.
Desired Qualifications or Interests
- Enthusiasm for urban wildlife, land conservation, passive recreation, and the natural world
- Knowledge of basic Colorado real estate terminology and practices
- Familiarity with the Parks, Recreation, Open Space and Trails Master Plan (PROST)
- Active community outreach and volunteerism.
Requirements & Duties
- Resident of Lafayette for at least 12 months (prior to appointment)
- Registered voter
- Attend scheduled meetings
- May be required to attend other meetings or volunteer at special events to promote work of the committee.
About the Process
The City of Lafayette posts candidate applications (with personal information redacted) online after the deadline for a position has passed. Full applications and supplemental documents (such as resumes) are available from the City Clerk according to the Colorado Open Records Act.
View redacted applications for recently closed positions (as available)