2019 PROST Master Plan
The Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department has contracted with GreenPlay, LLC consultants to update the City's Parks, Open Space, and Trails (PROST) Master Plan, last completed in 2012. This update will carefully determine community needs and provide a framework for projects relating to multi-modal connectivity, ecological land management, recreation and wellness opportunities, and much more.
Public input is a crucial element to the success of this plan. There are several different ways to contribute your feedback for the PROST Plan. The process will use a mixed method of community engagement to ensure community voices are heard.
Please review the schedule of upcoming public meetings and planned outreach methods below. All citizens interested in asking questions, learning more about the process, and contributing feedback are invited to attend these meetings or engage via the your preferred communication method.
This page will be periodically updated throughout the Master Plan process.
Share your input through the online Community Survey
Share your input through the Community Remarks online mapping tool
|Milestone||Expected Date||Times||Where?||How Do I Get Involved?|
|City Boards & Committees Community Meeting||February 27, 2019||6:00-7:30 PM||Lafayette Library, 775 Baseline Rd, Lafayette, CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest.|
|City Staff & Departments Community Meeting||February 27th, 2019||3:30-5:00 PM||Clinica, 1735 South Public Road Second Floor, Lafayette, CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest. This meeting will have a focus on city staff and departments.|
|Outside Agencies & Partners Community Meeting||February 28th, 2019||9:00-10:30 AM||Indian Peaks Clubhouse, 2300 Indian Peaks Trail, Lafayette, CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest. This meeting will have a focus on outside agencies and partners.|
|Parks, Open Space & Trails Community Meeting||February 28, 2019||12:00-1:30 PM||Council Chambers, City Hall, 1290 S. Public Road, Lafayette CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest. This meeting will have a focus on parks, open space, and trails.|
|Rec., Athletics & Aquatics Community Meeting||February 28, 2019||2:00 PM- 3:30 PM||Clinica, 1735 South Public Road Second Floor, Lafayette, CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest. This meeting will have a focus on recreation, athletics and aquatics.|
|All-Community Meeting||February 28, 2019||5:30 PM - 7:00 PM||Clinica, 1735 South Public Road Second Floor, Lafayette, CO 80026||These meetings are open to the public, please join us as much as you are able and have interest.|
|Online Feedback Gathering||April 26th 2019- May 19th, 2019||N/A||Via a Link on this Website||Click here to login to Community Remarks, an online engagement tool that for gathering input from community members who may or may not have been able to attend an in-person meeting.|
|Community Survey||Early Spring (tentative)||N/A||Via U.S. Mail||The consultant team will conduct a statistically valid survey in Lafayette via the USPS. If you are one of the randomly selected households to receive a survey invitation in the mail, we strongly encourage you to complete and return the survey and contribute your opinions.|
|Online Survey||Late Spring (tentative)||N/A||Via a Link on This Website||Click here to participate in an online survey. This will not be considered statistically valid, but the results will be analyzed and incorporated into the Master Plan findings.|
|Findings Presentation & Visioning Workshop||June 24th, 2019||6-8 PM||Council Chambers, City Hall, 1290 S. Public Road, Lafayette CO 80026||The consultant will present the findings and visions based on the results of the community engagement.|
|Draft Presentation to City Council||Fall (tentative)||TBD||TBD||A draft of the PROST Master Plan will be presented to City Council and the at a public meeting.|
Why Is This Necessary?
The intent of this project is to provide the Parks, Recreation and Open Space department with an updated Master Plan that contains a new set of realistic and implementable goals and recommendations for the future.
With a process that involves the public, we will develop implementable recommendations that are reasonable and realistic without compromising service delivery.
How are we measuring success and project outcomes? Click the tabs below to see critical success factors for this project, and the performance measures used to determine if they are met.
These elements are not all inclusive to what the community will outline as critical success factors and performance measures for the PROS department. The items below are applicable to the planning process only.
- Identification of recreation programming needs based on community feedback.
- Being mindful to be inclusive of Lafayette’s diverse community during the process to ensure all voices are head.
- Leverage existing information from the current Master Plan for informing the outcomes of the updated Master Plan.
- Consider whether recreation facilities are being efficiently and effectively utilized.
- Gauge the community’s interest in industry-wide programming trends.
- Strongly represent the open space program in the planning process and outcomes so that additional, specific planning efforts are well-supported.
- Evaluate community needs and existing ordinances for alignment (i.e., ebikes, scooters, drones).
- Advertise all internal project team meetings, public engagement sessions and presentations in advance to engage the largest groups of members able to attend.
- Utilize multiple public and internal engagement tools to identify programmatic needs among community members.
- Work with the city boards and commissions in addition to the general community to encourage participation in feedback opportunities.
- Review existing recent survey results and incorporate relevant data points into analyses and recommendations.
- Providing a conceptual-level analysis on the use of recreation facilities using data from GRASP® and GreenPlay’s program analysis tool.
- Include relevant 'trending' programs in the statistically-valid survey to explore what trends the public is interested in, as well as discuss these 'trending programs' during face-to-face engagement sessions.
- Work with staff and stakeholders to update open space and recreation program acquisitions criteria.
- If opportunities for updating ordinances are identified which would allow for alignment of City policies with citizens desired outcomes, create recommendations for updating appropriate ordinances.
The Master Plan process was initiated in January of 2019, and is expected to be complete in August of 2019.
A draft of the plan will be presented to the public once available, and City Council will ultimately adopt the final 2019 PROST Master Plan.
The completed document will be posted online when available.
Below are documents from the 2013 PROST Master Plan
Intro and Planning
Community Profile and Engagement
Trends and Best Management
Key Issues and Recommendations
GreenPlay LLC operates as a consortium of experts to provide services nationally for park, recreation, open space, and related agencies.
GreenPlay acts as a management tool for agencies by organizing consultant teams that are responsive, experienced in the field, and who understand the needs of administrators and their communities. GreenPlay works nationwide with 16 employees and over 75 technical consortium agencies and sub-consultants to complete projects for large and small agencies around the United States. Since 1999, GreenPlay has completed over 450 projects in 43 states for governmental agencies and private sector companies.