If you are 65 years old or better and have been living in your Boulder County home for the last 10 consecutive years, you could qualify for a reduction in your property tax payment.
The Colorado Constitution establishes a property tax exemption for qualifying senior citizens, surviving spouses of senior citizens who previously qualified, and for disabled veterans.
Applications must be filed no later than July 15 to have the exemption apply to the tax bill you receive the following year.
Effect on Taxes
- The exemption goes into effect for tax year 2018.
- The discount will first appear on the tax bill sent in January 2019.
- The exemption remains in effect until a disqualifying event occurs, such as:
- properties moved into a trust, LLC or other legal entity, or
- surviving spouse, or
- home destroyed by natural disaster
- Were born on or before January 1, 1953, and
- Lived in the home continuously starting before January 1, 2008, and
- Owned the home continuously starting before January 1, 2008.
For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 in actual value of their primary residence is exempted, for a maximum exemption amount of $100,000 in actual value. The State of Colorado pays the property taxes on the exempted value.
Instructions & Application Forms
Applications are also available at the Assessor’s office, senior centers and other locations. Contact the Assessor's office with questions: 303-441-3530
Get more info at the Lafayette Community Meeting
Boulder County Assessor Cynthia Braddock and Boulder County Treasurer Paul Weissmann have scheduled four community meetings aimed at presenting information to seniors about a variety of senior resources. Representatives of senior programs such as Senior Homestead Property Tax Exemption, the Senior Tax Deferral Program, senior services provided by the Area Agency on Aging, the District Attorney’s Community Protection Division, and programs offered by municipal senior services will be available at these meetings.
When: Tuesday, April 3, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
Where: Lafayette Public Library / 775 Baseline Road, Lafayette