Community Risk Division
The Community Risk Division works to increase the safety of Lafayette citizens through health and safety education, performs fire investigations, business inspections, review of new construction, review and inspections of fire protection systems, regulation of Hazardous Materials, and issuing permits for special events. The Division provides Life Safety Code Enforcement, and support to community programs and events, as well as State Inspections for schools, daycare centers, and medical facilities.
Plan Submittal, Fire Codes and Policies, Permits
- Plans - must be submitted for new construction, significant building alterations, tenant finish, fire suppression/sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, hoods and other large projects that affect public safety from fire or hazardous materials.
- Permits - are necessary for things like tents and canopies over 400 sq. feet, underground or above-ground storage tanks, pyrotechnics, and open burning. Download permit application.
- Fire Code - view Lafayette Fire Codes. See the codes related to barbeque grills, recreation fires, open burning, and more.
- Business Inspections - Every business in Lafayette is inspected on an annual or semi-annual basis. These inspections are conducted by our firefighters. The department is dedicated to providing assistance to business owners and operators to maintain the operations in a fire-safe condition.
- Annual Inspections - Businesses that have a higher risk for fires will be inspected by the fire department personnel annually.